Sunday, June 26, 2016

Boy and The BFG by Roald Dahl


When my fiancee Charles and I started dating we started reading out loud to each other. It's a way to be intimate and a sure way to spend time with that person being vulnerable. When we saw that the BFG was being made into a movie naturally we both wanted to reread the book first and what better way to read the same book then to read it aloud to each other. 
This book was more magical and delightful than I remembered.  The BFG is constantly use crazy words like fribscottle and snozzcumber which I love (Charles pointed out this is probably because I use words like that all the time, in fact I told him I was rememerabling about this book right now). Sophie is practical and good-hearted. I loved how composed the queen made herself when she met the giant, inviting him to dinner, which gave us the hilarious scene where the butler has to climb a ladder to serve the giant his plate. Charles said it was good but was not as thrilled with it as I am (baffling, completely baffling). He also never reads children's books and loves nonfiction so perhaps that has a bit to do with it. 
We are both especially excited about the movie now and maybe I will add another little paragraph after I go see the movie. Two thumbs up from Carolyn and Charles! Also, we highly recommend reading this book out loud;  with your children, your significant other, or even your friends. The crazy words and short chapters make it fun and always leave you wanting more. 


I picked this up from a book sale prior to deciding to read the BFG with Charles. Roald Dahl was I believe the first time I ever discovered you could choose a book by the author (rather than the colorful cover or the title/plot line) and expect it to be good. Also, in a time filled with Junie B. Jones and Nancy Drew Roald Dahl led me into  a new world of fantasy, so I was ecstatic to now get a chance to learn a little more about this author I love. 
Boy is short stories from Roald Dahl's childhood. He was quite a prankster when he was younger and remembered quite a few due to the punishment he received for some of those pranks. He went to an English school because of his fathers wishes, but his whole family travelled back to Norway for the summers. His childhood inspired more than a few of his books, too.  
This book is extremely short and mesmerizing. I took it on a vacation to folly beach, I started reading and didn't put it down until I was finished and quite sunburnt. Nonfiction is usually not my thing but Roald Dahl unsurprisingly makes it captivating. 


No comments:

Post a Comment