Sunday, June 26, 2016

Samuel Blink and the Forbidden Forest

I was at second and charles ( a book store near us) and they were having a sale, buy 3 fiction books, get 2 free and I found this as one of my free ones. This story is about a brother and sister whose parents die and they have to go live with their aunt in a remote norweigan village next to a forest. They are forbidden to go in the forest which, of course, only makes it absolutely positive that all the main characters will enter. They find that what they thought was a dark place filled with evil creatures is actually a confused place oppressed by a tyrannical leader.
For storytelling this book gets 10/10. I adore the different fantasy creatures created in these pages and how each one has changed during this strange time in the forest.  The truth pixie in particular had me rolling around in bed laughing. In originality it gets a 7.  During the first couple of chapters where the brother and sister get sent to their aunt and told about the forest I was sure this book was just another Fablehaven and was already tired of reading it. Also, there is one character who is missing at the beginning of the book and it is incredibly apparent where they are and how they will be revealed from the beginning of the book.  However, things were not as played out as I thought. There were twists and deaths and a horribly gruesome turn where Samuel gets turned into a rabbit and meets the friends of the rabbit he ate a couple days before.  I was simultaneously loving it and thinking 'what is happening?'.
Basically, this book has a lot of character and interest but you have to make an effort through the first couple of chapters. If another Samuel Blink novel (yes, there are more, nothing is a stand alone story anymore :(  )  were to end up on my desk I would read it but I don't think I will search out any more of these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment