Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Out of Dust

              Another trip to the children's books section brought me to this book, the story of a young girl growing up in Oklahoma during two years of the Dust Bowl. An important note is that this book is written in free verse poetry. At first, I was very bothered by this, feeling like I couldn't properly immerse myself in the story because of each sentence being spaced between lines and a new idea for each new poem seemed to make the story jumbled up in my mind.
 Eventually, after learning a little about the characters and their life the poems didn't seem so haphazard. Some of the poems were so heart-wrenching that I was glad they ended quickly and she spoke of another day, reminding me her life continued on. The time period was fascinatingly devastating and it made me wonder why I had read so little about it before.
It was a great reminder of how lucky I am to grow up in this time and place and while I probably won't reread this I got a lot out of it and would recommend it to a friend of the philosophical variety.

1 day to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment