Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Modern Romance


My boyfriend occasionally brings me to the library (a.k.a his second home) and that is how I came to read this gem of a book, or rather, listen to it. I love Aziz Ansari; his stand up is great, Parks and Recreation is one of my favorite shows and his new series, Master of None, I could talk about for days. So I admit I knew nothing about this book except his face and name were on the cover. And that was good enough for me! I did try to get the book but they were all checked out and I have no patience for wait lists, so I settled for the audiobook.  

Coming from reading the memoirs of Tina Fey, Amy Poehler and Mindy Kaling I was expecting something similar from Modern Romance. However, after he finished telling me how lazy I was to not even read the book and had to get the version where he read it to me, he said this book was about navigating romance in modern times(just like the title says, go figure). And while he does share a few personal stories  the book is mostly a research project.
He covers a lot of interesting topics from technology to compatibility to dating in other countries. Did you know Japan has government funded singles gatherings to encourage dating? There are tips on successful ways to text in a relationship and full chapter on cheating and being in open relationships.

I don't think I would have chosen to read this book if I had looked up anything about it ahead of time. I'm in a happy, very long term, relationship and I would think dating advice would be moot. But Aziz incorporated his humor and his facts in perfect measure on each topic and I was able to have great conversations with my boyfriend about every chapter of the book. A good read I would recommend to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment