Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Yes, Please; Bossypants and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

There are multiple reasons I decided to write about these books in one post. I read them around the same time, I have some backlogging to do so multiple-book-posts are needed and the most glaring reason is that they are very similar.

All three are memoirs of strong female comedians and the story of how they got to be who they are today and you can't go wrong with any of them.
These books are very quick reads and absolutely hysterically funny. I actually borrowed Is Everyone hanging out without me? from my friend Shelby on a cruise and by the end of the five day cruise I was able to give it back. Yes, Please is probably my favorite but if you have the time (make the time!) I would highly suggest reading all three. The stories are unique but they intersect quite a bit (especially Tina and Amy's) and all three talk about each other with admiration and support in their books.

There are a myriad of goofy pictures that make us all feel better about how weird we looked growing up and give us hope that perhaps we will look as beautiful as one of these three ladies one day. The stories are replaceable and hilarious, like some great stand up, you can actually almost hear them saying it (you actually listen to them say it if you got the book on tape but then you would miss the awesome pictures) I laughed loudly during all of these and thought deeply about some life choices. While each of then is obviously a comedic star they all take the time to write and reflect on issues in their life. I was quite sad when I read in Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? that Mindy really looked up to Amy and Will's relationship since I read Yes, Please first and Amy talks about their divorce. With the good, comes the bad and each book has some interesting life lessons. They also made me strangely aware and proud of my parents, because reading about other people's parents always reminds me of how lucky I am in that regard.

Reading about UCB and SNL were highlights for me as I am a huge fan of SNL and recently was able to go to New York and see some improv at the UCB theater there. It felt like getting a back stage pass to those things and I re-watched multiple SNL episodes and laughed twice as hard. I may have been biased toward Yes, Please because I was binge-watching Parks and Recreation at the time, which I would also highly recommend to anyone in need of some cheer in their life.

Overall  these are witty and wonderful books written by witty and wonderful people. I was trying to figure out a fair way to make a rating system for the books I read and I still don't know how it will fair with different genres or my weird opinions so for now I will just say a big YES to all three.
Next up: Aziz Ansari's book Modern Romance

No comments:

Post a Comment