Monday, May 9, 2016

The Shadow in the North


I was really looking forward to reading this because who doesn't like The Golden Compass right? Well, actually, maybe a few people, but I adored that book and the series that followed so naturally another book by Phillip Pullman caught my eye. Initially I enjoyed the book, the story draws you in. Sally Lockhart is a fiercely independent woman whose client has lost some money in stocks and she is doing her best to discover why that particular business crashed the way it did. She is helped by her photographer friends and some quirky magicians as well as her trusty dog.
 Eventually she finds the culprit although she doesn't quite know the means to what he has done. Unfortunately in the second half of the book a lot of characters are killed off needlessly and the ending as well as the mystery doesn't justify all the terrible events that happen. I felt pretty disappointed when I finished the book and also very confused as to how this could possibly be part of a series since all the most important characters to her die. An interesting read but I probably won't be reading anymore Lockhart mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment